Sunday, May 24, 2009

A Great First - Photographing A Wedding

OK, so this is the 3rd weekend I'm unable to do any photo post-processing. No PP equals no posting :( This is getting frustrating! My company laptop has the security feature that somehow prevent the "illegal" copy of the Photoshop CS4 from being installed. I've placed order for a new Dell Studio15 and all I can do is hope for them to be delivered as soon as possible.

Did my first ever wedding shoot for a cousin of mine yesterday. It was a great first experience. All I can say is that wedding photography is definitely not as easy as it seems. Didn't manage to get all the shots that I've earlier planned. Events happened at a lightning speed and the next thing you know, you've missed it. The key here is be fast, shoot, and only figure out if the shot is good later.

Few learning from my first wedding assignment:

- Shoot in RAW if possible. I know that RAW files take up much of the memory but use this to shoot the event that may not be repeatable. This would be useful as I noticed that some of the important shots got underexposed.
- Get the details of the itinerary and discuss with the couple so that you'll know when to plan for the next event. In my case, I wasn't even aware that the couple was preparing for the march-in during the dinner!
- Ask the bride & groom to take note of your presence and try as much as possible to give you a good angle. I know it's best to let the event flow naturally but in certain scenes, you just couldn't get the best angle with all the relatives & friends trying to get a piece of the action. (and I'm sure they would want their photos to turn out with their faces in instead of their back!)
- Change a new set of battery for the flash gun for the dinner if you've been shooting the morning session. My flash suddenly gave up at the critical moment causing me to lose an important scene.
- It's always easier to work in a team of two. I couldn't keep up with the convoy somehow and missed the arrival back to the groom's house. *sigh*
- Keep the ISO the lowest possible to avoid noise.

Here's a shot... sort of a teaser. Shall upload the entire album once my new laptop is here! (p/s: thanks to Derick & Jonsern for the detailed tips)
-
.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for supporting Dell..haha! By the way, it is always a learning curve to us and I believe we will achieve another level after more and more practices :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea bro, not bad for a first experience though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like her hairband/headgear! so cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more tips. Don't be afraid to use higher ISO800 or ISO1600. You will be suprised with the result. :)

    ReplyDelete